MONDAYS

 
 

RUDIMENTARY TRENCH SUPPORT FAILED TO PROTECT

Excavator used to ‘dig out’ trapped workman after excavation collapse. Main Gate Leisure Limited has been prosecuted after a worker suffered serious injuries when a trench collapsed on him during drainage works at a leisure park in Devon on 23 July 2010.

He was working in the excavation when a wall of the two metre deep trench caved in. He was dug out by those at the scene before the emergency services arrived but still suffered multiple fractures to his skull, jaw and cheekbones.

HSE prosecuted the park operators after finding the company failed to adequately plan the work or put the necessary safety measures in place.

GOVERNMENT HASTY IN ACHIEVING JUNE DEADLINE - IOSH CAUTIONS ABOUT IMPLICATIONS OF LOFSTEDT'S

The recent publication of the reviews made by Professor Ragnar Lofstedt on the health and safety in the UK, will impact both the people of UK as well as primary health and safety body – the HSE! While complimenting the Professor’s findings and advice on several aspects of health and safety, the IOSH also felt certain recommendations were rather fruitless and less helpful and placed a heavy burden on the HSE. The Lofstedt committee looked into 200 aspects of health and safety laws in the UK and placed several recommendations before the government. The IOSH supported the idea of health and safety executives looking into its Approved Codes of Practice, but was pessimistic about the government’s proposed execution of the plans and sceptical about the methodology proposed. Besides which a deadline of June 2012 for the first stage seemed a bit hasty and over ambitious!

CONTRACTING FIRM & DIRECTOR FINED AFTER WORKER RECEIVES ELECTRIC SHOCK

A contracting company and its managing director have been prosecuted for safety failings after a worker received an electric shock from a live junction box during poorly planned maintenance work in London.

The employee was hospitalised in an induced coma as a result of the incident He also received serious burns to his left hand and suffered memory loss.

Westminster Magistrates' Court heard on the 7 March 2012 that his employer and Managing Director, could and should have done more to protect the worker as he attempted to repair an external flood light.